Friday, April 27, 2007

So Maybe I Won't Win the World Record After All

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LIFELONG_LEARNER?SITE=PAGRE&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-04-27-04-23-00

When 95-year-old Nola Ochs graduates next month, she will be the world's oldest college graduate. The record Ochs will break, according to Guinness World Records, belongs to Mozelle Richardson, who at age 90 in 2004 received a journalism degree from the University of Oklahoma.

Ochs did not plan to break records. She started taking classes at a community college in 1972; a class here and there over the years, until she was close to having enough hours for an undergraduate degree.

Last fall, Ochs moved the 100 miles from her farm to an apartment at Fort Hays State University to complete the final 30 hours to get a general studies degree with an emphasis on history.

With her white hair pulled into a bun, Nola Ochs walks purposely down hallways to classes with her books in a cloth tote bag. Students nod and smile; she is described as witty, charming and down to earth.

"I don't dwell on my age” Ochs says. “It might limit what I can do but as long as I have my mind and health, it's just a number."

"We should all be so lucky and do such amazing things. Her achievement challenges us all to reach for our own goals and dreams," said Tom Nelson, chief operating officer of the American Association of Retired Persons.

I truly thought I was gonna be the oldest person to ever earn their degree. Maybe I should shoot for both...the college degree AND an entry in the Guinness Book. :o)

No comments: