Sunday, February 25, 2007

4-legged duck puts best foot forward in Britain

I only imagine what I could do with four legs. I would have been a star athlete in high school track, but I think for soccer I would have tripped a lot. I've seen a few species of animals with 3 or 4 legs, but never a duck.

Webbed feet run in Stumpy's family, but he's the first to have four of them. A rare mutation has left the eight-day-old duckling with two nearly full-sized legs behind the two he runs on. Nicky Janaway, a duck farmer in New Forest, Hampshire, 95 miles southwest of London, showed the duckling to reporters Saturday.

Unfortunately, Stumpy wouldn't be able to survive out in the wild, but he's in good hands in captivity. There has only been one other case where a duckling was born with 4 legs, in Austrailia, but the duckling died the day after. I would say Stumpy's rather lucky, wouldn't you?

No comments: